About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2012)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

America 18, Us 14, Afghanistan 7, John Mccain 6, Joe Lieberman 5, Greece 5, Syria 5, Mccain 4, United States 4, Washington 4, Benghazi 4, Boehner 3, Lifelock 3, John 3, Lindsey Graham 3, Graham 3, Libya 3, South Carolina 3, Egypt 3, Susan Rice 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2012)  

    December 12, 2012
    12:00 - 1:00am PST  

12:00am
tired of fees piling up introducing chase liquid. the reloadable card with no fee reloads and withdrawals at chase atms. all for one flat monthly fee so there's zero confusion. get rid of prepaid problems. get chase liquid. police on the scene outside of portland, oregon. two people were killed before the gunman took his own life. another person critically wounded and they had to be evacuated by life flight. the witnesses describe the scene of chaos and panic as they rushed for the exits just as the sound of gunfire erupted.
12:01am
hundreds of people were there, holiday shoppers and many of them had to be evacuated. police are reaching out to witnesses asking them to come forward to help them with their investigation. >> if you are a witness to the incident, come to the light rail platform at the town center. there are detectives standing by there. >> police to believe this gunman acted alone and we have other breaking news as well. this from overseas. north korea tonight tested a long-range rocket showing its determination to push ahead with its program. the u.n. security council will now meet tomorrow to discuss possible actions against north korea. want to get you back now to piers morgan, who is in washington, d.c. tonight with a very special interview. >> welcome to the senate committee on foreign relations. this is where some of the most sense sensitive global issues are discussed. tonight i'm sitting down with three legendary citizens, john
12:02am
mccain senior senator from arizona, presidential candidate and ranking member on the armed services committee, joe lieberman, senior senator from connecticut and was on the ticket with al gore, and lindsey graham, the senior senator from south carolina, a member of the armed services appropriations and budget committees. welcome the you three. the three amigos. as dubbed by general petraeus. >> you forgot to mention he ran for president also and lost and he'll run and lose some day. >> this is -- john, much too often as we travel has described us as the losers caucus. once we were in pakistan and the ambassador -- this was 2002, the ambassador was good enough to give a dinner in our honor. mccain and i led the delegation of eight other senators. he got up to make his toast. i'm here, mccain, he lost for president, i lost for vice president, john says, you have here before you, the american government in exile.
12:03am
>> by the time this interview is over, you will know why they both lost. >> what is known about the three of you is you're very close friends. i sort of represent an air or an essence of bipartisanship and genuine cross-party friendship, which many feel doesn't really exist in modern-day washington. how have you managed to do this? and why can't more of your colleagues do this? >> respect, affection, traveling together. when you travel together -- and by the way, other senators have described our travel as death marches. we go to exotic places like afghanistan and baghdad and libya and those really fun places. but i think traveling together is probably been for years now we've traveled to the most interesting places, maybe not the most fun places. and so we become friends that way. here in the senate. therefore, we have worked together on a lot of national security issues.
12:04am
lindsay is a reserve colonel in the air force. he serves his active duty for years in iraq, now afghanistan. joe being a key member of the homeland -- the chairperson of the homeland security committee and so we have a lot of common interests, common interests, common working together has built up a unique friendship over the years. >> this started -- this wasn't planned. when i came to the senate, i admired john mccain from afar. once i got to know him, i admired him less, but that's -- no obviously, we've become very close. and i have the greatest admiration for him. but i remember going to see him and saying i'd like to work together with you -- i hope we can work together on something. and it turned out that the first thing we really worked together on was the war in the balkans because we were increasingly agitated by what turned out to be genocide really and worked
12:05am
with bob dole and joe biden to push the clinton administration to finally get into it. but there began a working relationship of friendship and really based on i think values that we all shared. this youngster came along in 2002, the kid, and basically we believe that america has a responsibility to be involved in the world in protection of our values and our strategic interests, all of which helps us be safer and freer here at home and it's just grown. >> senator graham, what is the secret to proper bipartisanship, do you think? >> well, in fairness to our colleagues, pierce, there's a lot of real close friendships around this place. there's a lot of republicans and democrat who get along very well and work together. the reason you're talking about the three of us, i think, is because of 9/11. there had never been an attack on america, we would have been three friends who travel and socialize, but what brought us together and put us on the map, after we were attacked on 9/11,
12:06am
everything in our country changed and throughout the world. as a result of 9/11 and all the national security issues that followed, our friendship became a cause. it really did solidify over the iraq war. bipartisanship as hyped is being willing to lose your job. i really admire john because he suffered for our country. and i hang around these guys because i feel young and smart, but the truth of the matter is john has been a war hero in the true sense of the word, but during the iraq war, we were one vote away from setting a deadline to withdraw, and joe was the only democrat who would cross over. so when you talk about bipartisanship, i think you really are trying to talk about courage. joe has the courage of his convictions. it drove him out of his own party. and i don't think there's much of that going on any time in american history, particularly now, so so without 9/11, without the iraq war, without
12:07am
afghanistan, without the challenges we face, we'd just be three friends and we've become a force to lead because other people will. >> he supported me in 2008 and yet when the democrats in majority, they still made him the chairman of one of the most important committees in the entire senate, the homeland security committee. i've never seen quite that level of respect. by the way, one of the things that i do for lindsey is i translate a lot of his remarks in english when we are traveling. >> the south carolina primary. >> the tragedy of this is that you are this amazing band, the three amigos, but the band is breaking up. you're retiring. >> this is the only thing i feel guilty about with regard to my leaving the senate. but the time came. i've been here 24 years. wanted to move on to something else. we'll always be friend.
12:08am
we'll be amigos forever. and maybe they'll find a way to have me carry their baggage. >> it's been described to me like zz top suddenly losing a member and in comes katy perry because you've got the senator ahern coming in. >> i think of it as the temptations without rhythm. >> one thing about our relationship, as you know, joe lieberman is an orthodox jew, and we've had to put up with all the shabbat stuff, all the lousy food, all the elevators, all the days off. and i want to tell you that we have gotten all the down side but none of the up side. so i'm seriously thinking about taking up his religion since i've had to eat all that salmon all these years. >> they have been very tolerant of me. but i've assured them that it could be that, you know, when
12:09am
they each complete their 120 years on earth and they get to heaven and at the pearly gates they find a rabbi, they're going to be in great shape. >> we were on an airplane flying to europe, which we do every year, and we were up in a compartment just the two of us, and i woke up and it was just starting to get a little light. and i saw this figure with a shawl on and doing this mumbo jumbo, i thought maybe i had died. >> so then i said, when i tell the story, i say this is kind of man john mccain is. he things that heaven is populated by praying jews. what a guy. >> i had never known a person in my life that lives his religion to the degree that joe lieberman does. he's such a great contrast to people like me and lindsey because i've never seen him lose his temper. i've never seen him insult anyone, i've never seen him treat anyone but with the greatest courtesy. i cannot say that about lindsey or myself.
12:10am
>> your temper is legendary. >> very calm. >> very calm, level headed. >> absolutely. >> have you ever known him to not lose his temper? >> i just realized they do really -- >> 1973. >> they do a great service for me because i don't have to lose my temper, because they do it for me, they express it for me. you guys have been too nice to me, i appreciate it. >> we had a show last night, it was very american in sense of the topics we discussed. bob costas. two things that were very pertinent to him, guns and football. and particularly the relationship between the two. now 70% of nfl players now carry guns. and an ongoing debate. i have to say not a very loud one. i seem to be one of the few people who really wants to discuss this, about the proliferation of guns in america. you have been through decades of this kind of debate. where do you sit on this? let me start with you, senator mccain. guns in america, should anything be done or are you comfortable with where things are?
12:11am
>> actually, i'm comfortable. i think that, for example, the killing that has aroused mr. costas' anger was an act of hatred and brutality, and that person wanted to kill somebody, they didn't need a gun to do it. so look, i just believe that it's one of our rights and -- joe? >> i start with the belief that the second amendment actually does protect the right of individual americans to own guns, but in my opinion, it's no more unlimited than the right of free speech which has limits. so i've supported, for instance, bans on the automatic weapons and for a while we've been trying to close what's called the gun show loophole. if you go in a store, it's pretty regulated now, to buy a gun at a regular gun shop there's a check done on you and national computer file of
12:12am
criminal records or if you can mental health records or indications of violence. if you go to a gun show, you don't have to do that. that's a problem. it's even a problem related to homeland security because some terrorists have bought guns at those gun shows. so right of private ownership. but the government has a right to limit it. >> senator graham, here's where i come from all this. >> you come from england. >> a country of strict gun control. 35 to 40 gun murders a year. america has 11 to 12,000. the worst rate by miles of any of the advanced counties in the world. nobody thinks this is a problem. everybody thinks the right to bear arms means as in jovan belcher's case, he had eight firearms. why do you need eight firearms to defend yourself? why would any american, explain to me if you can, why would any american need the right to have an ak-47 assault rifle? why aren't their limits on number of guns.
12:13am
>> there are limits. not anyone can own an automatic weapon. but the second amendment came about because of your country. the king wouldn't let average people -- >> you're going to blame the british. >> absolutely. when in doubt always blame the british. >> is it the constant threat of the british invasion. because i can probably relax you on that store. >> why did they put it in the constitution? why did we decide as a nation early on that individuals can bear -- have the right to bear arms? because in england the individual person didn't have a whole lot of rights about religion, freedom of speech and we never had a king here. some people would suggest that maybe that's -- maybe we should. at the end of the day. >> or a queen. >> i own more than eight guns, why should my constitutional right be limited because you don't understand why i want eight guns? >> why do you want eight guns? >> because i enjoy shooting. i hunt. something my dad and i did together. and in the south, that's part of growing up.
12:14am
now when people abuse a weapon, i think having additional penalties for a crime committed with a gun makes perfect sense. but we are who we are as americans. and we have our faults, but the second amendment is ingrained in our culture. 90% of the football fans at south carolina or clemson home games probably own a weapon. and i just really do believe it's about how you act as a person that determines your fate, not the sensibilities of someone else. because if my individual rights under the constitution are limited by the sensibility of others, i don't have a whole lot of rights. >> let's take a break and come back and talk about money. money, money, money. because right now, there's a paralysis in this very city about how to resolve things relating to money in america. i want you tree to sort it out.
12:15am
>> announcer: you never know when, but thieves can steal your identity and turn your life upside down. >> hi. >> hi. you know, i can save you
12:16am
15% today if you open up a charge card account with us. >> you just read my mind. >> announcer: just one little piece of information and they can open bogus accounts, stealing your credit, your money and ruining your reputation. that's why you need lifelock to relentlessly protect what matters most... [beeping...] helping stop crooks before your identity is attacked. and now you can have the most comprehensive identity theft protection available today... lifelock ultimate. so for protection you just can't get anywhere else, get lifelock ultimate. >> i didn't know how serious identity theft was until i lost my credit and eventually i lost my home. >> announcer: credit monitoring is not enough, because it tells you after the fact, sometimes as much as 30 days later. with lifelock, as soon as our network spots a threat to your identity, you'll get a proactive risk alert, protecting you before you become a victim. >> identity theft was a huge, huge problem for me and it's gone away because of lifelock. >> announcer: while no one can
12:17am
stop all identity theft, if criminals do steal your information, lifelock will help fix it, with our $1 million service guarantee. don't wait until you become the next victim. you have so much to protect and nothing to lose when you call lifelock now to get two full months of identity theft protection risk free. that's right, 60 days risk-free. use promo code: gethelp. if you're not completely satisfied, notify lifelock and you won't pay a cent. order now and also get this shredder to keep your documents out of the wrong hands-- a $29 dollar value, free. get protected now. call the number on your screen or go to lifelock.com to try lifelock protection risk free for a full 60 days. use promo code: gethelp. plus get this document shredder free-- but only if you act right now. call the number on your screen now!
12:18am
i'm in the hearing room in the senate committee on foreign relations. the triumvirate of john mccain, joe lieberman and lindsey graham. welcome back to all three of you. you said you just got re-elected, this is to president obama, how about doing something big that is not liberal? how about doing something big that is really is bipartisan? every big idea he has is a liberal idea that drowns us in debt. how about manning up here, mr. president and use your mandate to bring this country together to stop us from becoming greece. >> yes. >> man up, barack obama. strong words. >> he has a chance to be an historic president. what makes us greece? it's not because the tax code is at 35% versus 39.6. what's going to make this country greece, like every other western nation, retiring at 10,000 a day in terms of baby boomer, three workers for every retiree, in 20 years we'll have two. medicare and social security are about $30 trillion underfunded. if you did what tip o'neill and
12:19am
ronald reagan chose to do, reform entitlements, we become the most dominant place on the planet pretty quickly. so what i would plead with the president to do is use this mandate. redo revenue, which we should. but what keeps us from becoming the country we want to be and damns the future generations is entitlement and spending. when i was 21, my mom died, when i was 22 my dad died. if it wasn't for social security survivor benefits, my sister would have never gone to college. social security is going to fail. when i was 22 we needed the 300 and something bucks we got a month. i'm 57, i have no kids, i could easily give up $400 in retirement from social security to help people who can't. >> as a reality for republicans is that president obama has won a second term. in many ways he won the argument.
12:20am
now i'm sure he's thinking about history and legacy and he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected. that gives you a power that you don't have in the first term. but he's managed to box the republicans into a place you just don't want to be, where it looks like you're prepared to allow the middle class of america to get taxed from january onwards at at higher level to save the backsides of the wealthiest 2% of americans when 70% of all americans polled say we want the 2% to be paying more tax. that argument's gone, isn't it? >> yes, it is. look, the president can rightly say that he made clear during the campaign for re-election that this was the beginning of how he was going to deal with our national debt problems, raise taxes on the top 2%. he come in with the mandate, and now he continues to advocate it and it gets great support from the american people. i think it's part of a solution to our debt problem, but if you
12:21am
raise taxes the way the president wants, it's about -- it fills about 7% of the hole we have now. >> i say back to that, it is still 7%. what he also has to do is reduce the entitlements -- >> but this is the point. >> you guys are the most experienced senators in washington. where is this deal in the end going to wash out? >> you know what? the question is whether we have the political will to put the deal together that most people in both sides, both parties will tell you is what has to happen. and that is, yes, raise taxes, raise revenue, you got to do that in fairness and in political honesty and practicality and the biggest driver of the debt is not the regular spending of our government, things like defense, homeland security, education, it's so-called entitlements. you've got to kurt althe increase in spending on things like medicare that's putting us in the hole.
12:22am
>> what you don't want to do you don't want the make it punitive for people to make charitable donations. to me that's another lose argument for the republican. you got to be very careful where you encourage the cutting of entitlements. >> yeah. one thing i don't think i should ask a democrat to do is turn medicare into a voucher program. you know, the paul ryan budget had a premium support system, which i think makes sense, but a lot of people on the left are not going to go there, but i think we could adjust the age of eligibility for medicare from 65 to 67 over the next 30 years. cue ask all three of us to pay the full cost of part b premiums. >> prescription drugs. >> the prescription drug benefit. make us pay the full costs. we can afford it. but here's what i would say, how this movie ends -- and that's your question. >> yes. >> we will wind up losing on probably the rate issue by the end of the year to some extent. i think capping deductions is a
12:23am
better way to generate revenue, but there will come a time in february and march where you have to raise the debt ceiling. when you're $16 trillion in debt, somebody in this place needs to say stop borrowing until you address why we're in debt. i will not raise the debt ceiling ever again until we get significant entitlement reform because if we don't reform entitlements we're going to become greece. so this fight goes from the end of the year the raising the debt ceiling in february and march. that's a chance for the president to lead this nation, to get republicans and democrats in a room and do something i wanted to do for 20 years. save social security and medicare from bankruptcy and the country from becoming greece, but if he doesn't lead, there's going to be one hell of a fight over raising the debt ceiling. >> john mccain, in the end, the republicans, whatever is being said right now, are going to have to acquiesce to him on that point, for him to acquiesce to what the republicans want on entitlements. >> i think that's very possible that that could be the outcome. i agree with you.
12:24am
he won the election, and he has the upper hand, and he has the upper hand in public opinion polls right now, as you mention. but at the same time it seems to me the way you do these things as i've seen in the past is call people and come over and have conversations. don't go out and continue the campaign that is over. >> i think there's blame on both sides. >> absolutely. >> there seems to be a strange disconnect between speaker boehner and the president. when you compare it to tip o'neill and ronald reagan or newt gingrich in the second term of bill clinton. both told me, clinton and gingrich, they would get in a room, throw out the advisers and thrash out a deal. >> maybe they began that an sunday. i have the feeling that if you really left it to the president and the speaker, obama and boehner, they could work it out. they got forces behind both that will try to separate them, but that's where their leadership comes into play.
12:25am
look, this country -- i'd rather be an american economically poised for the future than a citizen of any other country in the world. what's standing in the way of us really surging economically is the government, and if we can get together and adopt a bipartisan long-term debt reduction plan, i think our economy's going to take off. >> i want to get into foreign policy now. you are the three amigos, the experts in this genre. i want to talk about the middle east exploding that you've hinted at and also benghazi and susan rice, which i know is a favorite subject of yours, senator. >> so good of you, pierce. oh...there you go. wooohooo....hahaahahaha! i'm gonna stand up to her! no you're not. i know. you know ronny folks who save hundreds of dollars switching to geico sure are happy.
12:26am
how happy are they jimmy? happier than a witch in a broom factory. get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. he loves risk. but whether he's climbing everest, scuba diving the great barrier reef with sharks, or jumping into the market, he goes with people he trusts, which is why he trades with a company that doesn't nickel and dime him with hidden fees. so he can worry about other things, like what the market is doing and being ready, no matter what happens, which isn't rocket science. it's just common sense, from td ameritrade.
12:27am
12:28am
12:29am
12:30am
12:31am
example, of chemical weapons, nerve gas being used in syria which can literally wipe out thousands of people with one single weapon. the united states has been disengaged. the united states has said if we get engaged and intervene all of these terrible things will happen. everything they said would happen if we intervene have not happened because we didn't. there is an absence of american leadership in the region and i just came from a conference and i talked to these leaders. i know them well. they believe the united states is drawn and week. there are al qaeda training camps and to look at afghanistan where the message is we are leaving, you look at syria where 40,000 people have now been
12:32am
massacred, the upheaval in egypt, the consulate situation in benghazi is more dangerous than ever before and if america doesn't lead, then other people will lead and they are not in america's interest. >> here is the flip side of the argument, which is america used to have reasonably good relations with others. yes, they were dictators. yes they did despicable things. but as senator mccain just said, the region is more dangerous now says they have all left the stage. in the last decade, a mistake. >> i would say no but -- no, it was not a mistake but i want to come to where we are today. it is this. un-american -- this is a little so three of us together. american foreign-policy is always at its best when it is consistent with our best values. and the declaration of independence. pre-formed our new government to
12:33am
secure the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness which each of us has from our creator. each of us doesn't mean just americans. it is everybody in the world. the world is imperfect and sometimes we got into relationships with people who were dictators, friends of ours but terrible to their own people. bills ultimately don't last. and my reaction when the arab spring broke out was excitement. both because the people in the arab world are rising up to secure their own rights and because it was probably the most powerful denunciation of al qaeda in its own form of dictatorship that represented. we were in egypt and tunisia within a month after the uprising. it was thrilling. there is risk as we have seen because of some of the countries like egypt, the people who won the first elections were muslim brotherhood. the answer is not to disengage. the answer is to let the world
12:34am
know that america's historic interest in stability in the middle east and freedom everywhere requires us to stay engaged and engage more in the middle east. in those countries in the arab world that have elected new leaders that were worried about do everything we can through diplomacy and economic assistance to move them in the right direction toward most of all to convince them to keep holding democratic elections. so the people can judge the work they do. >> a lot of americans say to me we are sick and tired being the world's policeman. actually quite relieved we're pulling out of afghanistan. we did send troops into libya. not sending troops in to syria. it is not our problem. our problem is jobs and the economy. our lives here. >> america has to take sides in a great struggle for the heart and soul of islam and the mideast. to think that we can sit on the
12:35am
sidelines and not be affected by the outcome, i just point to 9/11. what do you do? you provide capacity to those who have the will to fight radicalism in their own backyard. sometimes it is building a school house. the ggest threat overtime is an educated population. when it comes to afghanistan, if we leave a small force behind, it would be okay. when it comes to libya, if we train the army to replace demolished, things and be okay. when it comes to syria, stop the killing, put an international force and to provide stability. take the worst thing off the table, getting a nuclear weapon. the president likes up every day with challenges only i can imagine. i want to help the man. but i believe his approach to form policy has come back to haunt us and exhibit a is benghazi. >> the moral leader of the world and i believe we will be for a
12:36am
long time. >> a quick question if i may on susan rice and benghazi. you have been very strong run that. will she make it? >> i don't know if she is nominated or not. she deserves a process that every nominee goes through and no additional concerns about our role as far as africa is concerned. the fact is she not only gave wrong information but she gave the party line that for example at al qaeda is decimated. they are not decimated. that our embassies and consulates are secure. there are not secure. everybody, we are responsible for what we say. we will go to the process if she is nominated and we will see. >> would you have an objection to her getting the job? >> who gets the job is up to the president. >> would you object? >> on this one we are going to prove the three amigos will disagree and still be amigos. here's what i would say.
12:37am
of all the intelligence we had before she went on tv on that sunday morning and went over her comments, she is not disqualified based on anything she said. but the rest is up to the future and unfortunately i will be watching on tv. >> i disagree with joe. the intelligence was sanitized to create a false narrative. i've seen this movie before. >> would you object to her becoming secretary of state? >> she would not serve the country well in that capacity. >> we're willing to give her the nomination process but she has a lot to prove. >> let's come back and talk about some of the issues that divide america. [ woman ] ring. ring. progresso. in what world do potatoes, bacon and cheese add up to 100 calories? your world. ♪ [ whispers ] real bacon... creamy cheese... 100 calories... [ chef ] ma'am [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup.
12:38am
12:39am
12:40am
12:41am
i'm here in washington and back with three of the great legendary senators john mccain, joe lieberman and lindsey graham. >> it means old. >> yes, it does. i'll stand by my comments.
12:42am
what are you talking about comparing asexuality to murder. i think that is a point. >> i don't understand what he was talking about. i saw a quote but i don't understand. >> he is arguing there is a moral equivalent. >> in murder, obviously there is a victim. somebody is killed. in homosexuality, i presume he is talking about consensual relations. if it is a forced homosexual act, that is a crime. generally is consensual behavior. >> does it worry you that someone on the supreme court
12:43am
could say something like that which will so obviously will cause offense? >> it is not his best, i will say. it is offensive. maybe we are not understanding it. he is very smart but -- >> he is a little less about the constitution. don't care nearly as much about it as their parents. >> part of it is generational. part is the media. you're casting movies and tv shows where people are same-sex couples are funny, charming and kind. the point is that you can be funny, charming and kind and be in love with someone of the same sex. what's the role of the law here? we're not talking about an academic discussion. when is it proper for the
12:44am
government to set boundary in terms of relationships? it's clearly proper to say you can't kill someone. i have no problem with people passing on their property to someone they love. i have no problem with people having the ability to engage in a free and open life. part of this is religious. in my state, we're not going to change the traditional definition of marriage, and i would support the traditional definition of marriage not out of hate, but i believe that's just best for society. at the end of the day, states will come out differently on this issue. and i think that's the way it should be. i think each state -- >> but can america really stand for freedom and genuine equality if half the states continue to view the rights of a homosexual couple to get married in a completely different way to the way they view the right of a heterosexual couple? >> can people in a republic -- can people in south carolina and new york differ? i hope so.
12:45am
but can we do it in a way -- >> can they both be equal? can they both espouse equality if actually in one state you can't get married and in other -- >> he's going to answer this question this term. really that's a basic question. one, is it unconstitutional to prohibit same-sex marriage -- >> what do you think, yes or no? >> what do i think they're going to decide. >> what do you think they should decide. >> i think that marriage should be decided by the states, that means that some states should be able to prohibit same-sex marriage. >> that's the principle of the federalist belief. >> it seems so un-american to me. i'm sorry. but here's a country that stands on the grounds of freedom, democracy and equality and here you are all telling me that's fine so long as you're in the right state. i don't get that. >> i've been waiting to ask you this question. >> go on. >> if it's based on love, can three people love each other? >> can three people love each other? why would you need three people? >> well, is it possible for three people to genuinely love each other and want to share
12:46am
their lives together? >> of course it is. >> is it okay to have three people marry each other? >> i would say not. that's not the debate. i haven't heard anybody arguing for the right for three people to marry. buts that a facile point. >> why? >> because the point is simply a homosexual couple's right to get married in the same way that a heterosexual couple in america. what all three -- unless i'm wrong, what you're all three are saying is yes, if you're in the right geographic part of the country. that to me isn't equality. >> the constitution of the united states says all rights are reserved for the states except for those given to the government. >> but there are many federal laws. >> there are. >> the argument now in the supreme court will be should it be a federal issue, and i don't see how you can be a free and equal america unless this is a federal decision that says all rights are equal. >> do you respect the religious beliefs? and if they reflect those
12:47am
religious beliefs in the laws that are passed by their states -- >> i do respect those beliefs. >> that's the will of the people. >> but there are many religions in many different states. >> yes, there are. >> would you expect the original right of the founding father to allow slavery? >> no. >> would you allow slavery in some states and not others? no, you wouldn't. >> it runs straight into what you're asking which is the states are the place where domestic law, where family law is determined state by state. the supreme court may say that's no longer valid. i would say this to you. connecticut, same-sex marriage is legal in connecticut. somebody asked me recently, how's it changed thing? and you know, i thought about it and to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't changed things at all. it hasn't really changed anybody's life except people who are gay or lesbian and want to -- >> all it ap done is make certain people's live happier and better. >> can i suggest this?
12:48am
slavery was outlawed by a constitutional amendment. go watch "lincoln." great movie. the people decided. the question for us is who should decide these thins? should it be a handful of judges or should it be the people themselves? and i come out on the side of the people themselves. different people will look at it deliver differently. if you want to pass it that is the law of the land. >> quickly are pot. are you in favor of legalizing pots.
12:49am
gun control should be a federal think. you can't have people in chicago nipping over borders getting guns and breen them back to chicago. that is just not going to work. simile with marijuana. can you have half the states legalizing an and the other half not. it is the same thing. does in the states where it is not legal, get over and get a load and come back over. isn't that what is going to happen? >> there is a classic pattern in american history where the state's innovate or how they take steps that other states won't take and if it builds enough momentum, it becomes a national law. i am worried about this, the consequences of that illegality of drug use on our society and crime and all of the rest are terrible.
12:50am
we don't know how to deal with it. i am worry that legalizing pot and what the experts told me is a gateway drug. it may lead to more drug addiction. >> have you ever in hell? >> no, no. i don't pretend to be normal. i am not saying -- at the end of the day i want to be me. within the confines of the law. gun-control is a federal think. is called the second amendment. we are not known as constitutional scholars or reason. i will take a shot at the pot question. i think to create order and not chaos you have to have a national is seem sometimes to
12:51am
something years, you can disagree on all of this stuff and be friends. and you'll have a chance to vote for people with the like them or not on one issue or a bunch of issues. >> let's take a final break. we will be back with more from the three amigos. omorrow. for more than 116 years, ameriprise financial has worked for their clients' futures. helping millions of americans retire on their terms. when they want. where they want. doing what they want. ameriprise. the strength of a leader in retirement planning. the heart of 10,000 advisors working with you one-to-one. together for your future. ♪ aunt sally's singing again. it's a tradition, honey. [ singing christmas carols ] mmmm. [ female announcer ] make new traditions
12:52am
with pillsbury grands! cinnamon rolls.
12:53am
12:54am
12:55am
back with the three amigos. final question for you gentlemen and quickly, if you don't mind. it's cyst mats coming. what would you like most as a gift. >> obviously i think all of us and all americans a resolution of this issue of the fiscal cliff so that people can live next year with a sense of predictability, with a sense that we can have a growing economy, and, frankly, peace in the world. >> and the place on this committee? >> i think it would be fun to do. >> i'll take that as a yes. >> senator lieberman. >> christmas and hanukkah. >> yes. >> what would i like from the president? that he pick the leadership he's been empowered with the election, bring the parties together beginning with speaker boehner and other leaders agree on a bipartisan package that
12:56am
will reduce debt, increase tax and cut increases on spending entitlements. that will do it and usher in a brilliant new period in america's economic history. >> sounds good. senator graham. >> three things, that the president would have -- >> this i thought we only had one. >> this is america you can have three the president will leave a force in afghanistan of 15 to 20 thousand to make sure the place doesn't fall back in to radical hands. that the people get behind syria and end assad's regime and entitlement form so we can keep this country from becoming greece. >> thank you so much. the three amigos you are sadly about to become the two amigos but i suspect the friendship will continue. >> forever. >> thank you very much for joining me. eóoç=ñpçtoooowl
12:57am
12:58am
12:59am